Sani Pass Wild Flower Walk
SPECIAL GUEST BOTANIST: the doyen of Sani Pass flowers ELSA POOLEY!! LAST CHANCE? The upgrading of Sani Pass is sadly in progress. Work is proceeding on the stretch between Good Hope and the South African border post. The current contractor’s work ends there, so the section we walk, the 8km to Sani Top is unaffected at this stage.
Add a short walk through the botanical wonderland of the Lesotho plateau to your exciting day on the Sani Pass!
Cost: R525 per person includes:
- Transport in 4×4 vehicles up Sani Pass, then cross into Lesotho;
- 90 minutes allocated for walking around the Lesotho plateau at Sani Top exploring different flowers in a unique botanical niche
- Back through the border post on foot, then a slow 8km walk down the Sani Pass enjoying the very special flowers, the superb views and birds along the way.
- Clinton Carbutt, Sharron Berutti and Ansell Matcher are the other confirmed botanists
- We will have volunteers stationed along the way at places where very special species grow so you don’t miss them
- Transport back from SA border post to Giant’s Cup Café from 3pm onwards;
- GOOD VALUE! NOTE that a day tour with a tour operator in Underberg now costs R950pp!
- Support a good cause – funds raised from this event go towards sponsoring teachers from this area on Environmental Education courses with WESSA at Umgeni Valley.
YOU NEED TO BRING:
PASSPORT essential! You will be exiting SA at an official border and crossing into Lesotho. Also:
- hiking boots;
- lots of water to drink;
- hiking stick;
- warm clothing;
- Flower books/binoculars/cameras optional
ADVANCE BOOKINGS ONLY DUE TO LIMITED TRANSPORT!
Meet 06h30 sharp at the Giant’s Cup Cafe, 10.5km down the SANI PASS ROAD on the left hand side.
BOOKINGS: for the walk – contact Sani Lodge Backpackers 033 7020330 / 0839873071 OR email email@example.com
Accommodation: for the night before is also available at Sani Lodge Backpackers, on the same property as the Giant’s Cup Café (www.sanilodge.co.za). You can also contact Sue Little on 0822909770 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales (before and/or after the walk): Snacks; Elsa Pooley wild flower field guide books (get her to sign one for you!); Sani Pass flowers, mammals, birds and reptiles posters; WESSA publications; local books and maps; indigenous plant species; artwork by local artists